Saturday, July 18, 2009

City

During my childhood, I hated the city. I didn't like how I had to get up and take the subway to school, instead of in my own car where I could collapse asleep. And the lack of a backyard, and excess of cars and traffic, and all that. It was one of my young wishes to not live in the city. And it is probable that I will eventually move out of the city, just 'cause. But the one thing that's interesting about the city is it has lots of moments that are amazing, either because of their unusuality, or because they are so perfect in some way, that it's unreal.
Like a moment where three people are talking while leaving a building, and they reach the door, and they each go off in separate directions: left, right, and straight. Isn't that something you'd expect in a movie? Well it happened yesterday, in one of those cheesy "Bye!!!" moments. And a gang of kids jumping over police gates that line a street, each of them with a lemonade in hand. A little man sitting on a white chair on the corner of the street all day. Just sitting. A street that goes down forever with colorful umbrellas everywhere, and flag lines that hang from street lights to store fronts, clothes and fruit lining every block - these are images that I appreciate in the city. And it would be moments like those, in which I would ove to be a photographer.

1 comment:

Persephone said...

honestly, the suburbs isn't better. there's nothing to do, and no moments like that, and you're stuck with neighbors who you may or may not like.